Oral(Mouth Piercings) Piercing Aftercare
The Pin Cushion
Following the aftercare will assure proper healing of your new piercing!!
- Always wash hands with anti-bacterial soap and water before touching your piercing.
- Apply a small amount of anti-bacterial soap (provon, dial, softsoap) to desired area and lather. Do not rotate jewelry for this will only lead to irritation.
- After cleaning rinse and pat dry using a clean paper towel. Never use cloth because they can harbor bacteria.
- Repeat steps 1-3 twice a day.
- Rinse with mouthwash after every meal and right before bedtime.
- Sea salt soaks are very important to the healing process of your piercing. These soaks help reduce redness, swelling, and helps to flush plazma (crusty’s) out of the piercing tract.
- Mix ¼ teaspoon of sea salt with 8oz of warm water. After salt dissolves swish around in mouth like mouthwash and spit it out.
- Pat dry with a clean paper towel
- Try to avoid spicy foods, juices and alcoholic beverages that contain yeast for the first 3-5 days
- Do not pick at crusty’s that build up around the balls of your jewelry. Just rinse them off with warm water. Picking at them can lead to infection and irritation.
- Avoid soaking in bodies of water (bathtubs, pools, hot tubs, lakes, rivers, oceans) these bodies of water can harbor bacteria and can cause infection. Showering is fine though.
- Do not change your jewelry before suggested time. Doing so can cause irritation and imbedded jewelry.
- Never use rubbing alcohol, hydrogen peroxide, Neosporin, gels, creams, ointments, betadine, bactine, hibiclens or any things else that’s not suggested.
- Remember to tighten the balls on your piercing daily
- Your piercing needs to breath. Don’t put facial lotions, make-up, or bandaids on your piercings for long periods.
- On navel rings, Dangles are meant to be worn for only short amounts of time. Do not wear dangles to bed they can get caught and tear your navel.
- 99% of your friends Don’t know what they are talking about.